Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Chicken Adventure...

Two years ago we started our chicken adventure. My goal was eggs. I really never expected to enjoy the adventure so much.
I love my girls. We have 5 different breeds, and they lay 3 different color eggs.

We have learned so much. Mostly by trial and error with lots of reading.

My chickens are free range, and now that its springtime they are enjoying themselves munching on the few bugs they can find and poking green weeds.

They've been slacking on the egg front the last 2 weeks. Not totally sure why, but I've gone from 6 eggs a day to 3. Not good timing for Easter.

I have one girl who is molting, loosing old feathers and getting new. Yes, chickens can molt in the Spring. Loose feathers are floating every where.



Poor thing is looking pretty sad. If she was human she would be severely depressed at this point.



 




Poor baby was not happy having her picture taken.
She's a bit skittish right now.


The turkey duck coop is almost done, and now that they are living together they are hanging out together in their spare time.



 
While cleaning the coop, I could have swore I heard a squeaky quack coming from the yard.
The turkeys tend to be more adventurous. Today they decided to wander and found themselves stuck in the garden, unable to figure the way out they peeped peeped with the ducks through the fence
until I rescued them.
 
So the adventure continues, its just grown to include two turkeys and two ducks.
 

0 comments: